Director of Public Works
610.444.6020 ext 105 ( M-F 8:30-4:30)
After Hours Emergency - 1.877.648.3081
LEAVES & LIMBS
Lawn & leaf bags are picked up every Monday from April 1st until December 31st . The bags must be placed curbside by 7 AM. Please do not place bags out more than 24 hours before collection. Brown paper “Earth Bags” must be folded over not taped. The bags should NOT exceed 20 pounds. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to keep the bags dry until collection. Bags can be purchased at Borough Hall for 2.50/pack(5)
Branches are chipped curbside the first Monday of every month. Branches must be neatly place curbside. Please do not tie/bundle branches. Branches larger then 4" in diameter, stumps, roots, and bamboo will not be collected. The Public Works department will spend no more than 20 minutes at each household. The Borough reserves the right to refuse the collection of excessive quantities.
Please note that leaves may not be burned. No open burning is permitted within the Borough limits.
Street sweeping of State, E. Linden & N. Willow streets occurs every Friday between the hours of 2:00 A.M. and 5:00 A.M. On-Street parking is prohibited during these hours.
A winter warning shall be in effect when roads are covered with freezing rain, snow, sleet, hail, or ice. The mayor or other official designated by borough council may declare the start time for a winter warning in preparation for and in anticipation of those conditions. The declaration of a winter warning may be announced by posting at the borough municipal building; or by radio, newspaper, email, social media sites or other available media. The termination of a winter warning may be announced in the same manner. When a winter warning is in effect, no person shall park a motor vehicle or allow that vehicle to remain parked on any portion of a winter warning route as set forth in section 11-56.2. (Ord. No. 922, § 1 , 10-19-2015; Ord. No. 927, § 1 , 4-4-2016)
Winter Warning routes are as follows:
- East Linden Street, north side, from Broad Street to Willow Street;
- North Willow Street, east side, from East Linden Street to East State Street;
- South Walnut Street, east side, from East South Street to Southview Avenue
A snow emergency is instituted when four inches or more of snow have accumulated, but it also may be instituted based on other weather conditions deemed to require the removal of vehicles from the roads for safe travel. The mayor or other official designated by borough council may declare a snow and ice emergency (referred to as a “snow emergency”). The declaration of a snow emergency may be announced by posting at the borough municipal building; or by radio, newspaper, email, social media sites or other available media. The termination of a snow emergency may be announced in the same manner. After a snow emergency has been declared, no person shall park a motor vehicle or allow that vehicle to remain parked on any portion of a snow emergency route as set forth in section 11-56.1.
Snow Emergency routes are as follows:
- Birch Street, north side;
- West Cedar Street, from Meredith Street to Union Street;
- Cypress Street, both sides, except permit parking zones;
- Meredith Street, west side, between State and Cedar Streets;
- Race Street, between East State Street and East Cypress Street;
- South Street, south side;
- State Street, both sides;
- Union Street, both sides;
- Walnut Street, east side;
- Linden Street, south side, from Broad Street to Willow Street;
- Broad Street, both sides, from State to Cypress Street
- North Willow Street, west side, between Linden Street and State Street;
- Ridge Avenue, south side;
- North Mill Road, from West State Street to north Borough Line.
Please shovel sidewalks as per Kennett Square Borough Municipal Code which states “…within the first six hours after daylight after a fall of snow or hail remove such snow or hail from the sidewalks…”. Please do not blow, shovel, place or throw snow into the roadways.